Saturday, March 14, 2009

Dear Reader

Dear Reader,

Hello my name is Amanda Louis-Kuhnert (what a name, huh) as you can see my name is a little unconventional, and it is evidence of an unusual childhood. I adapted my father’s name, Kuhnert, after he died when I was 18. I was really close to my father, and education was number one on his list. As a child, I suffered from dyslexia, so bad I would shut down and blank out to avoid the stress. Dyslexia has been haunting me for my whole life, and as of spring of last year, I said I was done running. I felt I had to bless my fathers dream that one day; his daughters would go to college, not to mention I want to be the best role model for my children by showing them that it is possible to get over those bumps in life. Like I said before dyslexia has been haunting me, but slow and steady is how the turtle won his race.
Even though all of my MWA’s are a little rough, I felt that my compare and contrast essay was the one that best shows my abilities of grasping the concepts. Because at first I did not narrow, my other subjects down I found myself lost with my research and struggling to support my argument and definition paper. A piece of effective writing would be my summary on “Celebrating Nerdiness” by Tom Rogers; I think that I had come along way from the first summary. Wow--- what a trip it was comparing my first summaries to the last summaries. I will be choosing my serious three blogs for my analytical thinking with the connection of our class book, TCT. Along with the serious, I feel my e-portfolio would not be complete with out my “Inventory of Being” so this is my writer’s choice.
The first time our class was asked to post the papers topic ideas, I started to get nervous. All these years and I was always afraid of having my classmates see what a bad writer I actually was. Instead, I broke through that and I learned steps to becoming a better writer. All three of my major writing assignments (MWA’s) were so “underdone”; I was surprised I did not come down with a fatal illness. However, by the time the papers were graded and returned, the professor’s comment is when the light bulb above my head came surged on. The feedback was so nice; it really pulled me through the class.
This was my second time repeating English 98 course. I was so sad, when I was told that I should to repeat the course, and my first thoughts were failure. If only I had the courage, when I was younger to admit that I needed help. I guess my reasons on how I view life have changed. I love the class, so much, I could honestly say in my entire life I never learned so much about writing, reading, and in the end speaking. I still struggle with comprehensive reading and keeping up with the class; it is all about the pace for me. I never in my life have been able to get through a book and to my amazement talk about it. The book, Three cups of Tea, really meant a lot for me. I really enjoy reading everyone’s posts; it has helped me learn to write by examples, think thoroughly, and be constant. I found that the class was very efficient, inspiring, and easy to follow. Everyone was so respectful to other thoughts it made it really feel that there were people out there that think on the same page as me.
It was difficult getting started with the service learning, for a stay at home mom, going to school, it was hard to find a place with such hours. I have had the chance to sit and help with school age kids in the MAP (Minority Achievers Program) offered through the YMCA. The kids are really great and fun to be around. I was so nervous to start but they were so accepting, much more than I imaged them to be. I looked at one of the girls I was helping and told her I was sorry for not understanding her homework. She looked back at me and said “its all right I no you’re just trying to help”; her response was so impressive it almost put tears in my eyes, but I had to suck that one up real quick. We sat there together for another 15 min and worked out her homework. Perseverance is a solid reflection that I hope to shine on another.
Well, it has been nice to have some one to write to, thanks for listening.
Sincerely your caring friend,
Amanda Louis-Kuhnert

3 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    Your final draft turned out really well! I am so glad you were able to share your story. I hope English 98 was a success for you this time!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quote because it creates such vivid imagery for me. I keep imagining this little turtle keep going."Like I said before dyslexia has been haunting me, but slow and steady is how the turtle won his race." I too hope that this class is a success for you. I also hope that you continue to english 101 and have a good time with those people too. It has been great getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, great job on your final draft. It's been inspiring getting to know you and your story of determination.

    ReplyDelete